In addition to giving your body the specialized care and treatment of acupuncture and massage, it is important to maintain the benefits gained through these practices. Personal nutrition is the foundation of maintaining a strong and healthy body, mind and spirit. Without proper nutrition supporting these things, they do not have the strength to grow and thrive, or to repair and heal from damage or injury.
Nutrition counseling is an ongoing process in which a health professional works with an individual to assess his or her usual dietary intake and identify areas where change is needed. The nutrition counselor provides information, educational materials, support, and follow-up to help the individual make and maintain the needed dietary improvements.
A sound nutritional philosophy is: Eat whole organic foods. By eating organic meats and/or dairy products, a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, minimal grains and sugars, people can begin to restore health to their organs, tissues, blood, brain and overall sense of wellness
Most Americans eat poor-quality foods that are highly refined and processed. 25% of Americans eat at fast food restaurants every day. Most people overeat pre-packaged and nutritionally deficient foods that leave their bodies in a state of disease and nutritional starvation. Eating whole foods can help restore an overall sense of health, vitality, self care and well being. Even with the perfect diet though, we are often deficient in many essential nutrients due to environmental stresses, depleted soils and availability of fresh local foods. Therefore, often times nutritional supplements are needed to help the body recover and maintain optimal health. Good quality whole food supplements help to provide our bodies with nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, trace minerals, fatty acids and phytonutrients. Whole food supplements are more bio-available to the body and are not derived from chemicals or synthetic compounds.
Through muscle testing and a constitutional evaluation, a food diary and food habits analysis, we can help to develop a nutritional program that will work best for you and your lifestyle. We at Blue Lotus incorporate a synergistic fusion of the following traditions of nutritional counseling:
• Clinical Nutrition, which tends to stress whole natural foods and nutritional supplements for health maintenance and treatment of disorders. Natural foods include organically grown, as well as those not processed, refined, or stored for any length of time. We also adhere to the philosophy that proper food choices will influence the physical, mental, and emotional aspects of the body.
• Food Allergy Counseling helps individuals become “food detectives” to sort through and eliminate those foods causing hypersensitivities, allergies, and intolerances. Foods that are eliminated may be introduced carefully one at a time at a later date. A food allergist will ultimately design a specific diet for the individual.
• Oriental Nutrition selects foods according to the philosophies of Traditional Chinese Medicine, concentrating primarily on the principles of yin (cooler) and yang (warmer). This philosophy teaches the idea of opposites, with one unable to exist without the other. Therefore, the human body requires both for healthy function. The diet is also determined according to constitution, personality, health, climate, and physical environment of the individual.
Some of the benefits of a nutritional consult include:
• determining what areas of your health are priority and your constitutional body type
• identifying food sensitivities and antagonizers
• identifying priority foods, meal planning and shopping tips
• selecting nutritional supplements to support your body and goals